Ended up coming down with a cold for part of week 2 and 3 and missed an update. Had a bit to catch up on my courses after being out of action for a few days. Also through in a DSL model going bad and losing time dealing with my ISP. I’m caught up now and have a new mobile phone that can work as a mobile hot spot if my Internet goes down again.
Week 2 in MAT 265 focused on
- Derivatives and Rates of Change
- The Derivative as a Function
- Basic Differentiation Formulas
- The Product and Quotient Rule
There was a fair amount of homework assignments. The Calculus part was pretty straightforward, but the arithmatic seems to be tripping me up more times than not. I’m still not a huge fan of the WebWork program, but somewhere between Week 2 and Week 3 a new feature that generates additional problems was turned on that has been very helpful.
Week 3 we had our first exam covering Limits and all the Differentiation topics covered to date. 14 questions, 2 hour time limit, not proctored. 2 problems from each section were given for us to solve so it wasn’t too painful. Lecture wise our attention turned to:
- The Chain Rule
- Implicit Differentiation
- Related Rates
- Linear Approximations and Differentials
Homework was a little bit lighter, but took a little bit to get my head wrapped around Implicit Differentiation.
Week 2 in EE 120 focused on Boolean Algebra, Sum of Products and Karnaugh Maps. These topics took me a bit to get the hang of. I found some great videos by Jim Pytel out of COlumbia Gorge Community College that really help me understand the topics. I highly recommend him to help supplement learning. We also had our first hardware lab due in Week 2 getting to work with the Digilent Analog Discovery Kit and a few ICs.
Week 3 moved into Number Systems, Adders and Two’s Complement. I remembered the number system conversions from my time at UC Riverside. The video lecture material and practice problems were a nice review. Week 3 we had both a hardware and simulation lab due. The training wheels in the labs were starting to come off though and are starting to get more complicated.
In the simulation lab we started putting together the pieces for our Microprocessor in Logisim. We built a half adder, increment and two’s complement circuit and then worked on writing up test plans.
In the hardware lab we built a half adder and a full adder using AND, OR, NOT and XOR gates on our breadboard and the Digilent Analog Discovery Kit (ADK) for power and digital input and output control. So far, the ADK has been working well.